House System

Abbey, Cobham, Hingley, Shenstone

The house system at The Earls was introduced by former Headmaster Mr. Dickinson in around 1910. For over one hundred years, the Houses of Abbey, Cobham, Hingley and Shenstone have been competing to become the best while encouraging all of our students to participate in an ever-increasing range of challenges designed to suit all tastes and abilities. Participation in these events allows them to win their house flash, which is worn with pride on their Earls High School jumper.

Students belong to one of four houses:

Cobham House

Cobham derives from the title of Viscount Cobham, which has been held by the Lyttleton family for over one hundred years. A former chairman of the board of the school, Lord Cobham originally dedicated the School War Memorial in 1923 to the young men who ‘put aside considerations of their own comfort and security and died in their devotion to their homes and their country’. 

Abbey House

Abbey gets its name from Halesowen Abbey which was founded by King John in 1214 and established in 1218 as a resting place for pilgrims who were on their way to St Kenelm’s Church in Romsley. It is now looked after by English Heritage.




Shenstone House

William Shenstone (1714 – 1763) was an English poet and one of the earliest practitioners of landscape gardening through the development of his local estate, The Leasowes. Shenstone received part of his formal education at Halesowen Grammar School (now The Earls High School).

Hingley House

Noah Hingley first worked as a chain maker near Cradley, but laid the foundations of one of the most important industrial concerns in the Midlands, reputed for his iron works, chains, and anchors for famous ships including Lusitania, Bismark & The Titanic. His nephew, Sir George Hingley, generously donated the stained glass window in our library.